12 killed in Assam terror attack

12 killed in Assam terror attack

Guwahati, Aug 5 (IANS) At least 12 people were killed on Friday when militants dressed in military fatigues opened random fire at a busy market in Kokrajhar town in Assam, police said.

Witnesses said the attackers first hurled a grenade and then began to fire, killing a dozen people and injuring 18 others in the town, about 220 km from Guwahati.

assam-terror-attack-20160805

Assam Police chief Mukesh Sahay told IANS that security forces shot dead one of the attackers. He suspected the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit) for the attack.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he spoke on the telephone to Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and added that the central government was closely monitoring the situation.

Assam vows to act against terrorists

Guwahati, Aug 5 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Friday vowed to take “strict action” against the terrorists who gunned down 12 people at a busy market in Kokrajhar town.

“I extend my condolences to the families of the victims. We will take strict against the perpetrators,” Sonowal said.

Assam terror attack kills 12 civilians, one militant 

Guwahati, Aug 5 (IANS) At least 12 civilians were killed on Friday when militants in military fatigues opened random fire at a busy market in Assam’s Kokrajhar town. Police said one of the raiders was also killed.

Witnesses said the attackers first hurled a grenade and then began to fire into the crowd, killing a dozen people and injuring 18 others in the town, about 220 km from Guwahati.

Assam Police chief Mukesh Sahay told IANS that security forces shot dead one of the attackers. He said four terrorists were on the run and an AK-56 rifle and grenades had been recovered from the spot.

Sahay said he suspected the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit) was behind the attack.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh said in New Delhi that he spoke on the telephone to Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and that the central government was closely monitoring the situation.

Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said the government was “very sad” to hear about killings.

“We have to ascertain who exactly are behind this dastardly attack,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here