14-year-old boy who consumed poison now safe

New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) A 14-year-old boy, who consumed a mosquito repellent and suffered from liver and kidney failure, was saved after a 60-hour treatment at a city hospital, authorities said on Thursday.

The boy, a resident of North Delhi, decided to end his life by drinking the mosquito repellent after a quarrel with his parents. Within minutes, he became unconscious and his body turned completely blue. The panicked parents rushed him to a private hospital where the doctors said that the poison had caused liver and kidney failure.

In spite of the hospital’s efforts, the boy’s condition deteriorated and hence he was referred to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.

“When we received the child in our casualty, he was in a critical shape. His haemoglobin was at dangerously low levels of 3.6 (normal 13+). The liver was affected with jaundice,” said Anil Sachdev, director of Paediatric Emergency and Critical Care and Pulmonology at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.

He said the methemoglobin levels were rising which meant that oxygen supply to vital organs was reducing. There was a very high risk of irreversible damage to his organs.

Due to several other health complications that the boy had, the team of doctors finally decided to perform plasma exchange, a procedure involving the separation and removal of the plasma from the blood in order to remove a disease substance circulating in the plasma.

“During this process the red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets are returned to the patient, along with a prescribed replacement fluid,” Sachdev told IANS.

He said that after the plasma exchange, the patient started improving and was shifted to the ward after 60 hours of struggle in the ICU.

“He was discharged from hospital in stable condition after a stay of six days,” Sachdev added.

The unique case has been recently published in the Journal of Clinical Toxicology.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here