Jihadist suspects, who made threats against Pope, arrested

Rome, Dec 2 (IANS) The Italian police have arrested four Kosovans accused of belonging to a jihadist cell that threatened Pope Francis, saying he would be the last pontiff.

“Remember, there won’t be another pope after this one. This is the last one,” police cited an internet message as reading.

The suspects, arrested on Tuesday, were highly active on Facebook and other social media sites where they threatened the former US ambassador to Kosovo and celebrated the November 13 attacks in Paris, police said.

Although the alleged cell did not appear to be involved in any specific plot, it was “highly dangerous” and had “direct contact” with jihadist networks active in Syria linked to prominent Kosovan IS member Lavdrim Muhaxheri, investigators said.

The ‘mastermind’ of the cell, Samet Imishti, was arrested in a village in Kosovo, while the other three suspects were detained in northern Italy, police said.

Two of the suspects seized in Italy were due to be deported while the third was placed under special surveillance.

“We intervened at a stage where the suspects were concerned with instigating attacks and propaganda that could certainly have had negative consequences in Italy,” said the head of anti-terrorism police in Brescia, Giovanni De Stavola.

Guns and computer software used to communicate with other terror suspects via internet were seized during raids in Kosovo, he said.

Samet used the city of Chiari, in the province of Brescia as a logistical base, and police arrested his brother Ismail Imishti, at the apartment they shared in Chiari.

Italy’s interior minster Angelino Alfano praised Tuesday’s raids and arrests, called them “another important anti-terror operation by police that smashed a jihadist cell in Italy.”

The probe that led to Tuesday’s operation began last year when investigators started monitoring a Facebook group called ‘With or without you — the Caliphate is back!’ said De Stavola.

Italy has stepped up its surveillance of suspected Islamist suspects since attacks in Paris that killed 130 people and injured over 360.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here