Over 290 killed in military coup attempt in Turkey

Over 290 killed in military coup attempt in Turkey

Ankara, July 18 (IANS) Turkey’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Sunday that the failed military coup has left at least 290 people killed.

The death toll includes at least 190 civilians and 100 coup plotters, the statement said, adding that more than 1,400 were wounded in the coup attempt that swept the country on Friday night but was foiled by Saturday morning.

More than 6,000 have been detained so far due to their involvement in the failed coup, Xinhua news agency quoted the statement as saying.

The statement said it was the Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen that staged this coup attempt.

“Our government has been constantly exposing the real motives of this terrorist group and its leader, Fethullah Gulen, to all allies and partners. The foiled coup is the latest criminal act revealing the danger posed by Fethullah Gulen Terrorist Organisation,” it said.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here