30 injured in Afghan mosque blast

Kabul, July 14 (IANS) At least 30 people were injured in a bomb attack that targeted a mosque in Pul-e-Khumri city, capital of Afghanistan’s Baghlan province on Monday evening, the latest in a string of attacks during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, sources said.

The attack occurred shortly before evening prayers when the provincial governor and several local officials were distributing food in the mosque’s courtyard. The injured were shifted to hospitals, where several wounded remained in critical condition, Abdul Qadim Niazai, deputy provincial governor, said.

“Governor of Baghlan was safe and sound. A few members of provincial council and local businessmen were among the injured,” said Niazai, who escaped the attack unhurt, Xinhua reported.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Earlier on Monday, one person was wounded in two back to back explosions in Afghan capital of Kabul.

On Sunday evening, up to 33 people were killed while 23 others wounded in a suicide car bombing in Khost province.

More than 970 civilians were killed and nearly 1,960 others were wounded in conflicts and Taliban-led insurgency in the first four months of 2015, according to figures released by the UN mission in the country.

 

Leave a Reply