New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi had made a series of announcements in his first Independence Day speech on August 15 last year, including the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana and the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana.
Following were the major announcements and subsequent initiatives of the government, according to an official statement:
– Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana: 17.28 crore bank accounts have been opened under the scheme, of which 10.44 crore are in rural areas and 6.84 crore in urban India.
– Make in India: After launch of the initiative, FDI inflows have increased by 48 percent in the country at a time when FDI across the world have fallen by 16 percent. Several measures were also taken for ease of doing business.
– Skill India: National policy for skill development and entrepreneurship unveiled. National Skill Development Mission and Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana launched.
– Digital India: Optical fibre for broad band connectivity reached 24,156 gram panchayats of the targeted 50,000 in the first year.
– Swachh Bharat Abhiyan: (Urban India) 4.36 lakh individual households and 22,419 community and public toilets were constructed till July 31, 2015. (Rural India) More than 73 lakh toilets were constructed till August 10, 2015.
– Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan: 97.53 percent of targeted toilets were built.
– Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana: Of 689 gram panchayats identified by the MPs, 517 have evolved village development plan.
– Niti Aayog: It was constituted in January this year to replace the Planning Commission. The new body has sub groups of chief ministers on rationalisation of centrally sponsored schemes – Skill Development and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.