Cardiff, July 12 (IANS) Australia are growing in confidence that their star left-arm pacer Mitchell Starc will be fit to bowl in the second Test starting Thursday at Lord’s cricket ground.
Starc left the field on the first afternoon in the first Test with what was confirmed to be an ankle problem and was clearly in pain bowling on the third day during England’s second innings. Australia lost the first Test at Cardiff with a day to spare on Saturday, going down by 169 runs.
However, he was able to push through that pain, taking key wickets, and was also able to bat while his team slumped to a disappointing defeat. Star took seven wickets in the match including a five-wicket haul in the first innings.
Team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Starc’s condition was improving and the team was “hopeful” he would be fit for selection, reports cricket.com.au on Sunday.
“Mitchell experienced some pain in the back of his right ankle during the Test match which is common with fast-bowlers,” said Kountouris.
“He was in discomfort while bowling but since then has improved significantly. We will monitor him over the next few days but the plan is for him to take part in some light training and we are hopeful he will be available for selection for the second Test beginning on Thursday,” he said.