Australian man burned by exploding Samsung phone

Australian man burned by exploding Samsung phone

Melbourne, Sep 7 (IANS) An Australian man was left with burns when his Samsung smartphone “exploded” as he slept in his hotel room.

Tham Hua, from Victoria state who was visiting Western Australia, said his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 exploded in his hotel room, bursting into flames, Xinhua news agency reported.

“My brand new Note 7 exploded this morning while I was still asleep, it was plugged in and charging,” Hua posted on a technology forum in comments published on Wednesday.

“Phone completely fried… (Samsung) told me this is the first case in Australia.

“(It) charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when I whacked it down to the floor, burnt one of my fingers while doing that too.”

Hua said the accident caused $1,300 worth of damage to his hotel room which Samsung offered to cover.

Samsung issued a global recall for its flagship smartphone Galaxy Note 7 units after the technology giant discovered a battery fault in the phone which caused it to explode.

More than 35 cases of the exploding battery defect have been reported since the phone, which retails for $1,035, was launched on August 19.

Samsung has now advised owners of the Galaxy Note 7 to turn off their phones and leave them off until they can be exchanged.

“Samsung Electronics Australia advises all customers who use a Galaxy Note 7 smartphone to power down their device, return it to its place of purchase and use an alternative device until a remedy can be provided,” Samsung said on Monday.

Hua said the staff had “no idea” what to do with his phone when he took it to a Samsung store “wrapped in newspaper and inside a zip-lock bag”.

“It’s the first time they saw such a thing,” he wrote.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of or any employee thereof. is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here