Australian team evacuated in Olympic village fire scare

Australian team evacuated in Olympic village fire scare

Rio de Janeiro, July 30 (IANS) Australian athletes were forced to briefly evacuate their apartments when a fire alarm was raised in their section of the Rio 2016 Olympic village, officials said.

According to officials, fire crews were called when smoke was detected in one of the buildings on Friday, Xinhua news agency reported.

The athletes were allowed to return to their apartments 30 minutes later and there were no reports of injuries or damages.

“There was a lot of smoke and we had to evacuate,” Australian team spokesman Mike Tancred said. “The firefighters came, it was controlled and we returned. There was no big drama.”

According to the Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, firefighters said a small blaze was started by a lit cigarette butt in the building’s basement.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here