Bantwal: A resident of Shamboor had, on the way to Mangaluru, driven his car up to Panemangaluru and parked it by the side of the highway around Saturday noon.
He had apparently done so for the sake of convenience to catch a bus at Panemangaluru and on the way back to return home.
Some time after he had left, the car caught fire. It got damaged for the most part by the time the fire brigade arrived from Bantwal and extinguished it.
It is suspected that a heap of dry leaves and grass behind a stall where watermelons were stocked was set on fire by someone. Sparks from there may have caused the fire, according to locals.
The town police have registered the case.