Batsman Rogers backs Australia’s decision to rule him out

Kingston, June 12 (IANS) Australia left-hander Chris Rogers on Friday backed the decision by team’s support staff to rule him out of the two-match Test series against the West Indies, but insists he will be ready for the forthcoming Ashes tour.

Rogers said when he took a blow to the helmet in the nets in Dominica, he first felt it was “pretty insignificant” but had since suffered from dizzy spells and splitting headaches.

“I thought it was just another one. But then I just didn’t start to feel great. I spoke to the doctor and didn’t expect him to rule me out of the Test, but he did. I was a little bit surprised at the time but since then I still haven’t quite recovered,” Rogers was quoted as saying by

I’ve had some pretty bad days so I think the doctor was right. He made the right call.”

Cricket Auatralia’s Dr Peter Brukner made the tough call to rule Rogers out and the news was delivered in a lengthy chat on the Dominica outfield with coach Darren Lehmann and captain Michael Clarke.

“You never want to miss a Test, especially for something I thought was fairly insignificant. I guess nowadays any knock to the head can make a difference.”

“At the time, when he asked me about my symptoms, I didn’t think they’d warrant me being ruled out of the Test match. But in hindsight, he definitely made the right call. I wouldn’t have been right for that Test and I wouldn’t have been right for this Test, either,” said the 37-year-old.

The veteran, who has previously suggested the Ashes tour will be his international swansong, said he was about a week away from being fit to resume his spot.

Leave a Reply