BCCI AGM postponed indefinitely, says secretary

New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) With the Indian cricket board awaiting the Supreme Court’s verdict on whether former president N. Srinivasan can be allowed to attend its meetings, the board on Sunday postponed indefinitely its Annual General Meeting.

Srinivasan was present at the Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) working committee meeting on August 26 in Kolkata in his capacity as chief of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA).

But it led to a controversy as the Supreme Court said earlier this year that he risked being in contempt of court by attending BCCI meetings.

With several members unhappy at Srinivasan’s presence, BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya had to eventually adjourn the working committee meeting indefinitely.

The BCCI then filed a petition in the Supreme Court seeking clarification whether Srinivasan could attend its AGM — which was originally scheduled for September 27 in Kolkata — on behalf of the TNCA.

“As per our legal opinion, he (Srinivasan) could not attend the meeting. But he then forced himself to be in the meeting. And we did not want any contempt of court. That is why we have filed the petition on Friday and maybe in a few days’ time we should get the order,” board secretary Anurag Thakur was quoted as saying by Cricinfo on Sunday.

Once the BCCI receives clarification from the apex court, it will require at least 24 days to hold the AGM, including a three-day notice to convene an emergency working committee meeting and then a 21-day notice for the AGM.

If the meeting is postponed again, the BCCI will have to seek permission from the Registrar of societies because the board is registered as a society under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act.

“Certain things are not in our hands. This has not happened for the first time. It has happened many times,” Thakur said.

The BCCI secretary also dismissed accusations from Srinivasan’s supporters that senior officials are hindering the board’s functioning with their allegedly high-handed methods.

“These are all baseless allegations. If you look at the work in the last few months, it has been very smooth and controversy free. Our only intention is to make cricket controversy free and conflict free,” Thakur insisted.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here