Beltangady: Vittala Malekudiya, a postgraduate in Journalism, had been arrested on charges of supporting the Naxals and then released under a high court order.
He is in the forefront of the agitation for the tribals’ rights in the taluk, which has been a Malekudiya territory. Having realized that being an elected representative was necessary to make one’s voice heard, he had contested the gram panchayat election in the middle of last year and had lost.
He is an active member of Democratic Youth Federation of India (DYFI) and he had the full support of the organization when he contested. Possibly because of the splitting of the votes amongst the other candidates, he could not muster enough of them.Now he is getting set to aim at the next higher level, namely, in zilla panchayat election. He has chosen Dharmasthala as his preferred venue for the battle of the ballot.
He appears more confident this time since the Communist Party of India – Marxist (CPIM) is lending it full support.Vittala says that his main aim to stop the eviction of the tribals living in the forest areas for decades. Many tribal organizations have pledged their support to him.
He has a formidable candidate to contend with, Dhanalakshmi Janardhan of the BJP, who has once served as vice president of the DK zilla panchayat. Besides, there would a candidate from Congress and also others from splinter groups or as independents.
Vittala Malekudiya news:
- Beltangady: Vittala Malekudiya Granted Bail after HC Directive
- Mangalore: Delegation to Meet CM for Vittala’s Release
- Mangalore: Thinker G K Govinda Rao Takes up Vittala Malekudiya’s Case
- New Delhi: Palakkad MP M B Rajesh Raises Vittala Malekudiya Issue in Lok Sabha
- Mangalore: ‘Vittala Malekudiya’s Arrest Amounts to Violation of Human Rights’ – Kerala MP
- Mangalore: Mother of Arrested Student Narrates Tale of Terror and Tears