Bengaluru (DHNS): The CID filed a 1,341-page charge sheet against pontiff of Ramachandrapur Mutt Raghaveshwara Bharati for repeatedly raping a singer, part of the Ramakatha concert series organised by the Mutt, between September 2011 and April 2013.
A Forensic Science Laboratory report has confirmed that the DNA sample from the material evidence, semen found on the victim’s clothes, was that of the seer.
Sources said the charge sheet has established the seer sexually abused the singer repeatedly during concerts held across the country since 2011.
The seer first made sexual advances at the victim after a programme in Gokarna in September 2011. At Jodhpur in October, he called her to his room and offered her “prasadam”.
He then raped her four times after Ramakatha programmes and made her swear on Lord Rama against revealing the incident to anyone, failing which he said her family would attract the lord’s curse.
“The victim said the assault continued at many places after Jodhpur. Sexual abuse took place in Kolkata, Mumbai and in nine districts of Karnataka. The victim said the seer made sexual advances by threatening her in Bengaluru, Shivamogga, Hubballi, Bagalkot, Udupi, places in Dakshina Kannada, Uttara Kannada and Kalaburagi districts. Mobile phone locations have established that the seer and the victim were at the same place on those days,” said a senior police officer.
The CID has recorded statements of a few staff and devotees of the Mutt, who have confirmed seeing the victim enter the seer’s room. The CID has pressed charges under Sections 376 (2) (f), 376 (2) (n) for rape and Section 508 of the IPC.
“Since it was proved that the seer had repeatedly threatened the victim of divine displeasure, charges under Section 508 were included. Section 508 deals with acts caused by inducing a person to believe that he would become an object of divine displeasure. The offence attracts jail term up to one year or fine or both,” an official said.
- Bengaluru: Fresh Case of Sexual Abuse – Raghaveshwara Swamiji Seeks Anticipatory Bail
- Bengaluru: Another Woman Accuses Raghaveshwara Bharati of Sexual Abuse
- Karwar: Raghaveshwara Case – CID Team Probes at Devimane in Kitre
- Bengaluru: Number of Recusals Rises to 5 as Two More Judges Withdraw from Swamiji’s Case
- Bengaluru: Sexual Assault Charge against Raghaveshwara – Yet Another Judge Recuses Himself
- Bengaluru: Rape-accused Swamiji’s DNA Test Positive: Advocate General
- Bengaluru: Raghaveshwara Case – HC Orders Shastri Couple be Made Respondents
- Bengaluru: Sexual Assault Case – Swamiji Undergoes Medical Tests, Declines Three
- Bengaluru: Setback for Swamiji as High Court Okays Medical Test
- Bengaluru: Swamiji Granted Conditional Bail in Sexual Assault Case
- Bengaluru: Sexual Assault Case – Havyaka Forum Wants Swamiji to Voluntarily Undergo Tests
- Bengaluru: Swamiji Case: CID Questions RSS Leader Kalladka Prabhakar Bhat
- Bengaluru: Two Arrested for Slandering Shastri Couple’s Daughter in Facebook
- Bengaluru: New Twist to Singer Vs Swamiji Case with Reported Entry of Underworld Don
- New Delhi: Sexual Assault Charges against Swamiji – Women’s Commission Steps in
- Puttur: Demand for a Comprehensive Probe into Kedila Shastri Suicide Case Snowballs
- Honnavar: Amid High Drama Police Notice Issued to Raghaveshwara Bharati Swamiji
- Honnavar: Alleged Blackmail Attempt on Math’s Artistes – Shastri Couple Gets Conditional Bail
- Puttur: CID Team Arrives in Town to Probe Kedila Shyam Prasad Shastri’s Suicide
- Puttur: Case of Shastri Suicide in Kedila also Likely to be Probed by CID
- Puttur: Kedila Residents Demand Thorough Probe into Shastri’s Alleged Suicide
- Puttur: Urimajalu Ram Bhat Appeals to Havyaka Community to Maintain Restraint
- Mangalore: Threat Calls Led Shastry to End Life, Says Wife in Complaint to Police
- Mangalore: Shyam Prasad Shastry from Kedila who Shot Himself Dies in Hospital