Bengaluru: Faulty Gas Geyser Kills Mother and Son

Bengaluru: Installing a gas geyser proved costly as a mother-son duo had to pay with their life. Arpitha(23), a homemaker and her son Amruth(3) were found dead in the bathroom of their house in Lakshmipura in Kempegowda Nagar police station limits. They died due to inhaling carbon monoxide generated by their geyser on 7 December.

According to police, Arpitha went to have bath after finishing her household chores. Amruth, who was playing in the hall, is suspected to have gone inside the bathroom to urinate. His grandparents who were sitting outside grew suspicious as the boy could not be seen around for a while. They started looking out for the boy and knocked on the bathroom door, but got no response. They raised an alarm and a few neighbours came in who broke open the door and found the mother and son lying motionless on the bathroom floor.

According to sources, they were immediately rushed to the nearby hospital where they were declared brought dead. Initial investigations revealed that the gas geyser installed in the bathroom generated carbon monoxide which lead to their deaths.

The bodies were later shifted to Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) for an autopsy to ascertain the cause of their deaths. The police said that the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) visited the house to collect details. The gas geysers generated poisonous gas if not serviced and maintained properly, said the police. A case of unnatural death was registered with the Kempegowda Nagar police.

Leave a Reply