Bharti moves Delhi court to cancel NBW against him

New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) Former Delhi law minister and AAP leader Somnath Bharti, booked in a domestic violence case, on Wednesday moved an application seeking cancellation of non-bailable warrant issued against him.

Bharti, citing that he has joined the investigation in the case, moved the application before a metropolitan magistrate, who on Monday issued the warrant against him.

The court asked the Delhi Police to file a reply on his plea and listed the matter for Friday.

Bharti surrendered before police on Wednesday to join the investigation in a case of domestic violence registered against him by his wife Lipika Mitra.

On Tuesday, the Delhi High Court granted him protection against arrest till September 17.

On Monday, a magistrate court issued non-bailable warrants against Bharti in the case after police informed it that Bharti was not cooperating in the probe.

The sessions court also dismissed the AAP legislator’s anticipatory bail plea.

A first information report (FIR) was filed against Bharti under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, including for domestic violence and attempt to murder, at Dwarka North police station in west Delhi.

Police said they filed the FIR following the June 10 complaint by Bharti’s wife, who said the AAP leader had been abusing her ever since they married in 2010.

She also claimed that Bharti beat and tortured her and once even tried to kill her.

Lipika, in the complaint, alleged that in March 2013, Bharti physically abused her, tried to strangulate her and set his dog upon her, due to which she suffered multiple injuries.

Leave a Reply