BJP slams Akhilesh over hunger death in Bundelkhand

Lucknow, May 4 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh BJP attacked the ruling Samajwadi party (SP) on Wednesday over reports of a famine death in the Bundelkhand region.

Referring to reports that a 40-year-old Dalit man died due to lack of food and water in Banda district, state BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak described it as “a sorry tale of misgovernance of the Akhilesh Yadav government”.

akhilesh-yadav

Accusing Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and his government of “making false propaganda of helping the people in drought-hit Bundelkhand”, the spokesman said: “This government is best at false propaganda and that is what it is doing sadly with the drought relief.”

Stating that instead of realising the gravity of the situation, officials are busy ignoring the deaths deliberately, the BJP spokesman said: “This was the reason that in this case the post-mortem was not conducted and cremation was done in a hurry.”

A 40-year-old man Natthu died of hunger, as he was going to take relief material being distributed in Aila village. There was no food in his house for four days and he kept awaiting the government help. But when it came, it proved too late.

As the news spread, food packets and other ration were rushed to his home by the district administration.

Rattled at the death, Banda’s food security officer Ram Pratap has been transferred to Pilibhit with immediate effect, an official told IANS.

The chief minister had earlier warned that any deaths in any district would be taken with utmost seriousness and the responsibility would stop at the district magistrate. “Now, we await action against top district officials,” the BJP spokesman said.

With severe heat wave and an unprecedented drought, the entire Bundelkhand region has been at the focus of Uttar Pradesh government. But on ground, the help seemingly is delayed and hostage to red tape.

Attempts to contact District Magistrate Banda failed, as he did not took the calls. A state government official, however, said all efforts were underway to help the drought affected people but there might be one or two unfortunate incidents.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here