Male, Oct 7 (IANS) International investigators probing the explosion last week in the Maldives president’s speedboat have concluded that the blast may have been an attempt to assassinate President Abdullah Yameen, local media reported on Wednesday.
Two military officials who had access to the yacht have been arrested over the incident and further investigations are ongoing, Xinhua quoted the media reports as saying.
Investigators from the US, Saudi Arabia, Australia, India and Sri Lanka, who arrived in the Maldives hours after the explosion on September 28, have ruled out the government’s initial theory stating that the blast may have been a technical fault.
Investigators said they have strong evidence to believe that the explosion was likely pre-planned and an attempt on the life of President Abdullah Yameen.
Yameen escaped unhurt in the explosion but his wife Fatimath and two other security officials received injuries.
The explosion took place while Yameen was on his way to capital Male, coming back from the Haj pilgrimage.
Eyewitnesses said that as the boat approached the jetty, there was a loud blast followed by smoke.
The National inquiry commission, set up this week in connection with the explosion, released footage of the video caught on camera by journalists who witnessed the incident.