Dr. B. R. Shetty
Managing Director & CEO
• Founder & CEO of New Medical Centre Group of companies since 1975
• Chairman, Abu Dhabi Indian School
• President, Abu Dhabi Cricket Council & Managing Director, Abu Dhabi Cricket Control Board
• Founder & President of many Indian Business & Cultural organizations
• Founder Patron of Toastmasters Intl. in the Emirates
• Founder, Member and Vice President of the Swiss Business Council
• Member of the Executive Panel of Dubai’s Pharmaceutical & Health Equipment Trading Business Group under the Dubai Chamber of Commerce &Industry
• Invited by Harvard Business School to attend Owner/PresidentManagement program
• Recipient of many National & International Awards and distinctionsfor significant contribution to pharma Industry
• Conferred Doctorate Degree by Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA
With a degree in clinical pharmacy and a few dollars in his pocket, Dr.B.R Shetty left the shores of his motherland for the United Arab Emirates, in 1972. True to his enterprising nature, Dr. Shetty saw immense potential for growth in this desert land. Though employed, his entrepreneurial spirit spurred him to start up a business of his own and New Medical Centre was founded in 1973.
His initiative, dynamism, and hard work are instrumental in the growth of this small clinic into the healthcare conglomerate it is today. Providing cutting edge diagnostic facilities with medical and surgical specialties, its international credibility is acknowledged by the ISO 9001-2000 Certification of the New Medical Centre Hospital Abu Dhabi. The state of the art NMC Specialty Hospital, Abu Dhabi, with its network of branches in Dubai & Sharjah and National Hospital & New National Medical Centre in Abu Dhabi stands tall among its peers in the Region treating over a million patients a year.
The quality of medical services will be further enriched with one more state-of-the-art multi-super specialty in Dubai at an outlay of over Dhs. 100 million. The gamut of businesses has been expanding and flourishing due to his incomparable ability of trust in his people and delegation to professionals.
With his legendary foresight and vision, Dr. Shetty saw an opportunity in financial remittances in UAE where majority of the expatriate population sent their hard earned money back home. He set up the UAE Exchange Centre, the financial arm of the Group has given a different dimension to the remittance services in the Region. With over 250 offices, and over 115 correspondent bankers worldwide, the outward remittance amounts to nearly US$ 8 million per day. UAE Exchange is one of the largest financial institutions in the Middle East offering Money Exchange and Remittance services all over the world. Keeping up with the latest developments in technology, the UAE Exchange Centre provides secure money transfers globally on the mobile phone.
Dr. Shetty also venture with extraordinary success into the Trading in Pharmaceuticals, FMCG, Medical & Scientific equipment, Consumer Cosmetics, and Foodstuff. He further diversified into Information Technology, Hospitality, Advertising & Public Relations, Financial Services, Gold & Diamond Jewellery, Real Estate, and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing.
The Trading Division among other credits has created excellent infrastructure for Pharmaceutical, FMCG and Foodstuff distribution, complemented by a chain of pharmacies under the NMC banner. The next natural step was a backward integration into a state-of-the-art Pharmaceutical manufacturing plant – Neopharma inaugurated by Hon’ble President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. This is the first of its kind in Abu Dhabi, UAE with product licensing from ParkeDavis-Pfizer,USA & Ranbaxy and many internationally renowned pharmaceutical companies, offering quality medicines at affordable prices.
Dr. Shetty has now embarked on the path of Innovation and Technology in the fields of Nanotechnology, Bio-technology and Cell Therapy and Tissue Culture.
True it his belief in corporate social responsibility, Dr. Shetty takes his job as a citizen of the world to heart. He serves on various committees and has contributed notably during times of natural disasters and to the Cancer Foundation run by the famous cricketer Imran Khan in Pakistan. He is also a member of various international business councils based in the UAE, and has been awarded on numerous occasions for his contributions to both business and charity.
He is now on the member of the Advisory Board (Financial Sector) Economic Department, Government of Dubai, UAE and the Pharmaceutical Committee Dubai. This is a prestigious assignment, reaffirming his visionary approach in the field of financial services. Presiding over the huge conglomerate does not deter him from finding time for humanitarian causes. He finds time to ably manage the largest community school in the Region besides being member of various International Groups. His hilanthropic approach and contribution to the society in general has brought him great laurels. Besides heading several social organizations, he is the founder and Patron of Indian Pharmaceutical Forum in the Emirates. In their latest endeavor the members of this Pharmaceutical forum have ventured into creating an Eco-friendly Health Tourist Resort in Kerala.
Dr. Shetty also takes an active interest in cricket, and was recently appointed, President of the Abu Dhabi Cricket Council, by a special decree of the Royal Family. He is also a patron to many cultural forums, and actively supports the cultural scene in the UAE through sponsorships.
Dr. Shetty has been honored with the Karnataka Government Rajyotsava Award, the Rainbow Laurel Award instituted by the former Maharaja of Travancore, the Dharmadarshi from Sri Krishna Mutt, Udupi, the PhD degree by the prestigious Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA. In a glittering function held in Mumbai, India, he was honoured with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for his outstanding contribution to Healthcare Sector by International Medical Integration Council. India Social Centre, Abu Dhabi, conferred him with the ‘Best Businessman of the year’ award. The London Institute of NRIs awarded him with Arch of Gold Award. He is also the recipient of the Pravasi Karma Ratna Award, the third Indian to be so honored.
Dr. Shetty also renders a helping hand to the poor and needy all over the world. Millions of US Dollars have been donated in aid of natural calamities in the states of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Orissa in India, Turkey, Bangladesh and Palestinian State and Imran Khan's Cancer Hospital in Pakistan.
His Message to Mangalorean.com readers:
Dr. B R Shetty says that if you have a strong will, commitment and determination you can achieve anything and everything, conditional that you have a dream and a vision. And to make this dream a reality you need to have the necessary armour and tools. Work hard towards achieving your goals and climb the ladder of success. The sky is the limit. When you have reached the pinnacle of success do not forget your roots. He concludes by making the words of Robert Frost (Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening) the well known poet his very own. And I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.
Positions Held in Social/Business Organisations/Associations:
1. Chairman of Board of Governors of Abu Dhabi Indian School, the largest community school in UAE with strength of over 3500 students.
2. President, Abu Dhabi Cricket Council, Managing Director, Abu Dhabi Cricket Control Board.
By a special decree of the Government of Abu Dhabi, Dr.Shetty is appointed as the President of both Abu Dhabi Cricket Council & Abu Dhabi Cricket Control Board. The Cricket council looks after the day to day running of the sport in Abu Dhabi and the Cricket Control Board has been
constituted by the Government to successfully implement the plan of building and manage the first international cricket stadium in Abu Dhabi.
3. Executive Committee & Selection Committee Member of the Emirates Cricket Board. This Board is the controlling body for cricket in UAE. The UAE team plays many international tournaments and also qualified to participate in the World Cup.
4. Vice Chairman of Municipal Council - At the age of 23, elected as Vice Chairman of the Municipal Council in my home state in India. For this I successfully contested and won the elections on an opposition party ticket.
5. Founder Member & Vice Chairman of Business & Social Activities committee of the Indian Business & Professional Group. This group is a registered body in Abu Dhabi, UAE and promotes the business and professional interest of the Indian Community in the region.
6. Executive Committee Member, Economic Committee of the Indian Business & Professional Council, Dubai. This is a forum for the businessmen and professionals of Dubai and acts as a mouthpiece for the economic and business interests of the Indian expatriate community in India as well as the UAE.
7. Vice President, Swiss Business Council – Besides being the founder member, has been nominated by the Swiss Ambassador to UAE as the first Vice President of the Council. The prime activity of the council is to promote the trade between Switzerland and UAE.
8. Founder Member of the
- Australian Business Council
- Canadian Business Council
- Netherlands Business Group
- Philippines Business Council
9. Member of the Advisory Board (Financial Sector), Economic Department, Government of Dubai, Dubai, UAE
10. Member of the Consultative Committee (Foreign Investors), AbuaDhabi Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
11. Member of the following Business Groups:
- American Business Group
- British Business Group
- German Business Group
12. Patron of the following Associations:
a. Abu Dhabi Concert Committee, Abu Dhabi (This organisation is dedicated for organising Western Classical Orchestra and concerts)
b. Soorya Film & Cultural Society, Kerala, India (The only patron apart from the Chief Minister of the State)
c. The Indian Pharmaceutical Association, Abu Dhabi, UAE
d. Karnataka Sangha, UAE
e. Bunts Association, UAE
f. Toastmasters International, UAE
Invited by prestigious Harvard Business School, USA to pursue a three module Owner/President Management Program (OPM 1998-99) exclusively designed for the Owners & Chief Executives of Multinational Corporations.
Participant in short course for the Top Executives in Harvard Business
School, USA on “Is your company Internet ready?” in July 2000
2005 In a glittering function held in Mumbai, India, he was honored with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for his outstanding contribution to Healthcare Sector by International Medical Integration Council.
2005 Conferred Doctoral Degree (PhD) by Georgia State University,
2005 Pravasi Bharati Association conferred Pravasi Karma Ratna Award the 3rd Indian to be conferred this award. The earlier recipients are Mr. E K Nayanar, Ex-Chief Minister of Kerala, Mr.M.M.Hassan, Minister for NRI Affairs, Govt. of Kerala, India.
2004 NRI Institute International presented an Achievers’ Award for outstanding achievements as an NRI.
2004 India Social Centre, Al Ain conferred an Award for Successful Career and Contribution to the Indian Community.
2004 Best Businessman of the Year award was conferred by India Social Centre, Abu Dhabi for outstanding contribution.
2004 Specialist Award in Pharma conferred by Arab Health Middle East for being the Best Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Facility in Middle East.
2004 Awarded Pioneer in Patient Care Award by Philips for introducing the advanced & latest medical diagnostics in UAE.
2004 Award for Outstanding contribution to Trade and Commerce by General Academy of Education, Manipal, India
2003 Award by Federation of Indian Association, New York, USA, for accomplishments in business and distinguished services as a Philanthropist to the Indian Community worldwide.
2002 Conferred Honorary Life Membership by the Indian Pharmaceutical Association. He is the only NRI, to have this distinction.
2002 Conferred the title ‘Dharmadarshi’ by the Shree Krishna Matha, Udupi, and Karnataka, India.
2000 Selected as outstanding NRI for the month of December by NRIWORLD.com
1998 The only Indian who has been honoured with the Award for Life.Time Achievement for dedicated advancement of the cause of Pharmacists and Pharmacies in the Arab World on the Occasion of the historic joint event of the 17th Asian Congress of Pharmaceutical Sciences and 50th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress.
1998 Received the first ever Indo-Arab Award from the Trivandrum based Indo-Arab Cultural Society for the top Non-Resident India for his unstinted support to humane cause.
1998 Received “Man Patra” from Delhi Karnataka Sangha for social service to humanity.
1997 The inaugural Rainbow Laurel Award instituted jointly by 3 organisations from the Govt. of Kerala was conferred upon by the Maharaja of Travancore for excellence in business and selfless involvement in community development & philanthropic activities. The selection was done on the basis of an independent survey of over 500 Non Resident Indians across the Middle East.
1997 The highest social recognition by the Government of Karnataka - Karnataka Rajyotsava Award was awarded for creative and constructive contribution to the development of the State within and outside India.
1996 Award by the Government of Emirate of Ajman, UAE for service to humanity.
1995 Award for International Quality for NMC Hospital from Trade Leaders Club, Spain for outstanding international quality.
1995 Karnataka Malla International Award
1994 Conferred the Arch of India Gold Award by the NRI Institute, London for the outstanding NRI business person.
1993 Declared Man of the Year (1992) by the NRI Institute London at the 11th International India-NRI Conference held at London. The award, presented by India's High Commissioner to the UK, Dr. L.M.Singhvi, was for outstanding personal achievements and contribution towards the promotion of national integration and international understanding.
1992 Received the Vikas Ratna Award from International Friendship Society of India for exceptional excellence in the field of chosen endeavor.
Honoured & Felicitated by the Bunts Sangha, Bombay (1992) to express their gratitude for the noble cause of social service, industry and medical service to the community.
1992 Received the International Excellence Award (1991) at London, from the NRI Institute, Delhi.
1989 Was nominated as Significant Achiever by Gulf News. The nomination was for high performance, pursuing excellence and gaining success against all odds.
1979 Was awarded Honorary Citizenship to the City of New Orleans, U.S.A.
1966 - 1973 Was elected as Municipal Councillor for Udupi at the tender age of 23. He has Served the Municipal Council as Vice President for two terms.
• Married to Dr. Chandrakumari R Shetty and blessed with four children i.e., three daughters & one son. Dr. (Mrs.)Chandrakumari R Shetty is the Medical Director and Chief Medical Officer of NMC Healthcare business.
• Eldest daughter Neema has completed Dentistry in India & is the topperin her college with distinction and married to Dr. Sharad who has topped the list in Post-Graduate Doctorate in Cardiology from Bombay University. Dr.Neema has done her Post Graduation in Hospital
Management in Australia and Dr. Sharad after successfully completing his Post Doctoral Fellowship in Australia has moved to pursue Fellowship in Intrventional Cardiology at Harvard Medical School, Boston, U.S.A.
• Second daughter Reema has graduated in Business Management from Boston University and joined NMC as Director. She is also a CEO of C-Sam Dataline FZE, UAE a joint venture between NMC Group and C-Sam. She is also the Director of Neocare.
• Third daughter, Seema has also graduated in Management from the prestigious Boston University, USA and joined NMC as a Director. She spearheads many other businesses.
• Youngest son, Binay graduated in Management Information Systems from the Boston University and has earned a place in the prestigious Dean’s list for outstanding academic achievements. He has joined NMC as a Director recently.
Mangalorean.com wishes Dr. B. R. Shetty all the very best in his future endeavors!
Submitted by Thomas Sequeira and photographs by Claude Fernandes –Mangalorean.com Team