Panaji, March 7 (IANS) A case of unnatural death has been registered in connection with the death of a naval personnel after choking on fumes aboard aircraft carrier INS Viraat, Goa Police said on Monday
Chief mechanical engineer Ashu Singh was taken ill after inhaling toxic fumes in a fire that broke out in the boiler room around 3.45 p.m. on Sunday while the ship was berthed at Mormugao Port in south Goa.
He died while undergoing treatment at the naval hospital at INS Gomantak, the naval base in north Goa.
The case was registered under Section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Code at Mormugao police station, 45 km from the state capital.
“We are investigating the matter. Statements of key officials posted onboard INS Viraat have been recorded,” a police spokesperson said.
Incidentally, INS Viraat, likely to be de-commissioned soon, was part of the ‘Family Day at Sea’ event on Sunday morning, during which families of Navy sailors are allowed on board on a day-out at sea.