Imphal, Feb 3 (IANS) The CBI is taking a relook at its investigation into the sensational killing of a housewife and a former insurgent in Imphal in 2009, following a confessional statement by police commando Thounaojam Herojit.
Central Bureau of Investigation’s deputy inspector general M. Gogoi, who is incharge of north-east region, and other senior officers are already in Imphal to supervise the fresh investigations in the case.
The probe by the CBI – which took over the case in 2010 – comes in the wake of union Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s assurance to act on the confessional statement of Manipur Police head constable Herojit last week who said he had gunned down an overpowered and unarmed former insurgent Chungkham Sanjit on July 23, 2009.
Sanjit’s mother Chungkham Taratombi, who lodged a first information report in the case, had petitioned the Gawahati High Court in 2009.
The official line so far has been that the insurgents killed a pregnant woman, Th. Rabina and a few minutes later, Sanjit “armed with a handgun was shot dead in an encounter.”
Though Herojit, presently under suspension from service, claimed the then additional superintendent of police Akoijam Jhalajit ordered him to shoot the former insurgent, the latter only issued a terse statement that the confessional statement was “concocted, motivated and baseless”.
Jhalajit said he could not further comment since the case was sub judice.
Meanwhile, Herojit failed to appear before the district and sessions court in Imphal West on Tuesday since he is said to be concerned over his personal safety in the wake of his confessional statement. The court has fixed February 20 for further hearing in the case.
Herojit is expected to present himself in the court, along with eight other accused policemen, to reaffirm his confessional statement.
Imphal Free Press, which scooped the confession of Herojit, said it may not be the first staged killing by Herojit and it was clear that some higher-ups might want to silence him.