Rio de Janeiro, Dec 12 (IANS) The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) will re-elect its executive committee in January after US corruption charges against top officials, interim president Wilmar Valdez said.
CONMEBOL bosses met here on Friday, their first meeting since confederation president Juan Angel Napout was arrested in Zurich last week, reports Xinhua.
Napout was one of 16 people accused by U.S. authorities of accepting bribes for deals involving tournament media and marketing rights.
Napout agreed on Monday to be extradited to the United States and officially resigned from the head of South American soccer by email on Thursday.
“The committee will remain composed of the national federation presidents who are carrying out the roles,” Valdez said on Friday.
“Its make-up will likely change in January.”
Charged with the corruption in world soccer’s governing body FIFA , CONMEBOL faces one of the worst time of its history. Besides, the head of the CONCACAF confederation that runs the sport in North, Central America and the Caribbean, Alfredo Hawit of Honduras, was also arrested last week.
Valdez said Friday’s meeting had focused on the reforms needed to restore public confidence in South American soccer, but the changes needed was not detailed.