Dalit woman held for CPI-M office trespass ‘attempts suicide’

Kannur (Kerala), June 19 (IANS) One of the two Dalit women held on charge of trespassing into the CPI-M office in Thalaserry was late Saturday night hospitalised after an alleged suicide attempt.

Doctors attending to the young woman, Anjana, however, said she was out of danger. She reportedly took an overdose of medicines.

Her elder sister Akhila said Anjana was upset over a remark made by a woman leader of the Communist Party of India-Marxist during a debate on a TV channel on Saturday.

“She returned after participating in a TV channel discussion on Saturday night and went to her room, deeply saddened by the way she was subjected to criticism during the TV channel debate by a CPI-M woman leader, part of the discussion panel,” Akhila said.

She said after a while, the family found Anjana unconscious and got her admitted to the intensive care unit of a hospital near here.

Earlier on Saturday, Akhila, 30, and Anjana, 25, were granted conditional bail by a local court.

The two sisters were arrested by Thalaserry police on Friday following a complaint that they had trespassed into a CPI-M city office in Thalassery and beat up two partymen.

A local court before whom the two sisters were presented on Friday, sent them and Akhila’s 18-month-old infant to Kannur jail.

The sisters, the daughters of Congress leader N. Rajan, refuted the allegation against them and said they went to the CPI-M office in Thalassery to sort out issues with the party officials.

They said the family has come under fire from CPI-M leaders and cadres since after he contested last year’s local body elections against a top CPI-M leader in Thalaserry.

Meanwhile, former Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Sunday flayed the ruling CPI-M and Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in the case.

“If this is the way the CPI-M is going to handle cases, they will face a huge backlash. A Chief Minister should be in the know of these things… ignorance does not augur well,” Chandy said.

Vijayan, who is in Delhi to attend party meetings, on Saturday said he is not aware of the case. On Sunday, he again said: “Contact the police and find out.”

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here