St.John’s (Antigua), June 2 (IANS) A dispute between the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) over an abandoned series last year could be resolved before the end of June, WICB CEO Michael Muirhead has said.
Muirhead said that discussions between the WICB and BCCI have been progressing well and a final agreement could be reached later this month during a meeting in Barbados, reports CMC.
The BCCI is claiming $42 million in compensation after the West Indies cricketers, led by Dwayne Bravo, abandoned the Test and One-Day International (ODI) series in India last year.
“Discussions have been going very well,” Muirhead said on Monday.
“When we meet in Barbados this month we are hoping to have a resolution finalised and documented. Beyond that I can’t say anything.”
Last year, tensions between the BCCI and the WICB erupted when the Windies team pulled out of the five-match ODI series after the fourth match in Dharamsala on October 17 due a pay dispute.
The BCCI subsequently slapped the $42 million claim on the WICB and also suspended bilateral relations with the WICB until the dispute is resolved.
The meeting, between WICB and BCCI, will take place on the sidelines of the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) annual conference which will take place in Bridgetown from June 22-26.
“It will be separate,” Muirhead explained.
“This is a BCCI and WICB issue and we will deal with it with BCCI while they are here.”