Chennai, April 10 (IANS) DMK president M. Karunanidhi on Sunday released his party’s poll manifesto for the May 16 Tamil Nadu assembly elections and promised prohibition if his party returned to power in the southern state.
The manifesto, released at the DMK headquarters here, also promised reduction in milk price by Rs.7 per litre, setting up of Anna canteens, industrial corridors, scheme for flood prevention and constitution of the legislative council or the upper house of the assembly.
Contrary to expectations, Karunanidhi did not promise free consumer durables, as done by the party in 2006 when it promised free colour televisions.
Speaking about the liquor ban, he said appropriate measures would be taken to compensate the state’s revenue loss.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK president J. Jayalalithaa on Saturday had promised liquor prohibition in phases if her party retained power in the state.
Karunanidhi said rehabilitation centres will be set up for liquor addicts.
The DMK also promised:
– Jobs for 100,000 persons through employment exchange
– Monthly reading of the power meters instead of once in two months
– Industrial corridors in Madurai-Tuticorin and Chennai-Hosur belts
– 20 kg free rice to the poor
– Steps to write off education loan dues
– Single window clearance for industries
– Setting up of pay commission for state government employees to bring their salaries at par with central government staff
– Medical colleges in districts where there are none
– Withdrawal of defamation cases filed against journalists, setting up of welfare board for journalists
– Grievance redressal meetings at all assembly constituencies once in three months
– Desalination plants in all coastal districts
– Rs.300,000 subsidy for converting thatched houses into concrete houses
– Withdrawal of all cases filed against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project protestors
– Preference in government jobs to first graduate in a family
– Free bus passes for those over 60 years of age
– Three-phased power connection for agriculture
– Issuance of ration cards and smart cards in 15 days