Dr U. S. Krishna Nayak – Mangalorean Star
“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” – Sophia Loren
Very few people have defied age and achieved high ranks in their academic and social life at an early age. It is not easy to become a celebrity among the Dental fraternity at a young age and become the Dean (Academics) of a reputed Dental College at the same time!
Mangalorean.com feels it a matter of pride to introduce Mangalorean Star for the month of November, 2007 – Karnataka Rajyotsava Award winner Dr. U. S. Krishna Nayak, reputed Orthodontist and Dean (Academics) of A.B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences or ABSMIDS.
Dr.U. S. Krishna Nayak was born in Mangalore to the famous Dental Surgeon of Mangalore Dr. U. S. Mohandas Nayak and Mrs. Indira M. Nayak on May 16, 1961. He had his Pre-university education in St. Aloysius School and College. He did his Graduation (1982) and Post-Graduation (1985) in Dentistry from K.M.C. College of Dental Surgery, Manipal.
He is practicing Orthodontics in the clinic founded by his father in Attavar, ‘Nayak’s Dental Clinic and Orthodontic Centre’. Over the years, he has corrected the dental irregularities of thousands of patients and has helped them to manage a beautiful smile! He is also visiting Orthodontist in many Dental Clinics in Mangalore.
With wife Shaila, daughter Ekta and son Arjun
He married Shaila in the year 1985 and they are blessed with a son and a daughter. Their son Arjun is studying in First Year BDS, while daughter Ekta is in her 7th Standard.
He served as an Assistant Professor, Reader, Associate Professor, Vice Principal and currently the Dean – Academics, Senior Professor & Head Post Graduate Guide at the Department of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, A.B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore.
He was Memebr of Senate, and Member of the Finance Committee – Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore. He was also Member, Mangalore University Senate & Academic Council for 2 consecutive terms.
Dr. Nayak has been Member, Board of Studies in Dental Surgery, at Mangalore,
Calicut & Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore.
Receiving Kannada Rajyotsava Award 2003 from former Chief Minister, S.M.Krishna
Dept. of Orthodontics Faculty, ABSMIDS
Dr. Nayak has been appointed as Under Graduate & Post Graduate Examiner at the following Universities:
Mumbai, Mangalore, Bangalore, Mysore, Karnataka, Kuvempu, Goa, Calicut, Gujarat Trivandrum, M.D. University Rohtak, M.G.R. Medical University Chennai, Annamalai University, MAHE (Manipal), All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, P.G.I. Chandigarh, D.Y Patil Deemed University, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health & Sciences, Bangalore.
He is a recognised Ph.D Guide in Orthodontics (RGUHS, Karnataka) at A.B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore. He has been appointed ‘Southern Regent’ of the International College of Dentists, India & Srilanka Section.
Dr. Nayak has won many awards for his excellence in the fields of Dental and Social work, the most prestigious one being The Karnataka Rajyotsava Award, 2003.
Now, here is an excerpt of the interview with Dr. U. S. Krishna Nayak, the most successful Orthodontist in Mangalore:
Q: Dr. Nayak, it is amazing to see a young person like you achieving such high excellence in academics as well as in your social life. How did you achieve that?
Ans: First of all, let me tell you one thing straight. I believe in positive thinking. I don’t waste my time discussing trivia. I work for almost 14 hours a day and I have very few or zero enemies in my life! Be good to self, and others will be good to you. Do your thing, don’t blame luck factor, be positive, and you are sure to win!
This is one thing I also convey to my students.
Q: What is this branch in Dentistry – Orthodontics and how do people get benefited by Orthodontic treatment?
Ans: Orthodontics basically deals with the treatment of irregularities in the formation of teeth. We treat the patients according to the extent of the irregularities and the course of treatment varies from person to person.
The simplest example for a patient with Orthodontic problem would be one with teeth protruding out. If the irregularities are observed at early age, treatment would be simpler and more effective.
Q: Many people hesitate to go for expensive dental treatments like correction of irregular teeth. Is there a way in which common people with lower income get such treatments?
Ans: It is the prerogative of the parents of those patients whether or not to get the treatment at private clinics. There is an option to take the patient to the Dental Hospital attached to Dental Colleges where the cost of material would be nominal and the fee for treatment would be cheaper and sometimes free of cost.
Under any circumstances, the patient will get the irregularities corrected 100% and will be highly confident with a beautiful smile!
Q: You have won many laurels for your achievements. How did you feel when the prestigious Rajyotsava Award was conferred to you in the year 2003?
Ans: I was the happiest person in my life when I got nominated for the Rajyotsava Award! I was totally thrilled when I was honored by our Ex-Chief Minister S. M. Krishna at the Awards Ceremony. Many of my friends were fascinated about – “CM Krishna honoring Dr. Krishna!”
Q: You have done a great role in Indian Dental Association and Dental Health Awareness Camps. What are the future plans of IDA?
Ans: IDA has been playing a major role in Dental Health Awareness and I feel proud to be part of IDA, holding some of the highest posts over the years. Under the able leadership of Brig. Dr. Anil Kohli, the present IDA President, many projects are being envisaged in the field of community Dentistry.
The Dakshina Kannada Branch of IDA is hosting the International Dental Conference from January 25-28, 2008 in Mangalore for which, I am the Chairman of Organising Committee. Thousands of delegates from the world over are participating in this mega event to exchange the latest breakthroughs in Dentistry. We have opened an exclusive website for the benefit of the delegates –http://www.idcmangalore.com/index.html
Dr. Nayak’s message to fellow Mangaloreans:
“Live life King Size. Make the Best out of it!”
Dr. U. S. Krishna Nayak has lived his life like a King always, a leader always! Wherever he goes or whatever he does, he has a charm which not many possess in the field of Dentistry. His students are having high respect and regards for him.
His small and happy family with his able wife Shaila managing the home front and his two lovely children Arjun and Ekta earning good recognition in the field of aquatic sports and studies, have cast an impression among the Mangalorean youth.
Rural Dental Health Campaign
With formerUnion Minister B.Janardhan Poojary(L); Being felicitated by former Test cricketeer S.M.H.Kirmani(R)
Regional Students’ Convention
National Level PG Convention
Chief Guest at IDA Meeting, Nagpur
A list of Dr. Nayak’s Professional Service and achievements:
1. National President, Indian Dental Association – 2000-2001
2. National President, Indian Orthodontic Society – 1999-2000
3. National President, Indian Academy of Dental Educationists
4. Co-Chairman, FDI World Dental Congress, New Delhi – 2004
5. Vice-Chairman, Pierre Fauchard Academy, Indian Section – 2006-2010
6. ice-Chairman, Indian Dental Association (Karnataka) Charitable trust (Regd.)
7. Co Chairman, National Workshop on ‘Oral-Health Care-Strategic Planning’ – 2006
8. Chairman, Council on Dental Health, IDA Head Office – 1992-94
9. President, Indian Society of Dental Research, Karnataka State Branch
10. President, IDA Karnataka State Branch – 1995-96
11. National Vice-President, IDA Head Office – 1990-91
12. Hon. State Secretary, IDA Karnataka State Branch – 1989-94
13. Vice President, Indian Orthodontic Society – 1993-94
14. Fellow, International College of Dentists (U.S.A.)
15. Fellow, Pierre Fauchard Academy (U.S.A.)
16. Fellow, World Federation of Orthodontics (U.S.A.)
17. Fellow, American Association of Orthodontists. (U.S.A.)
18. Fellow, Indian Board of Orthodontics.
19. Founder Member, Indian Society of Gnathology.
20. Founder Member, Indian Academy of Oro-Facial Genetics.
21. Southern Regent of the International College of Dentists, India & Srilanka section
22. Chairman, 61ST Indian Dental Conference, Mangalore – 2008
23. Chairman 1st National Conference of Academy of Dental Educationists
Of India (Jan – 1996)
24. Chairman, National Co-ordination, 36th Indian Orthodontic Conference,
Cochin – 2001.
25. Chairman, Organizing Committee, 1st Inter State & 31st Karnataka State
Dental Conference, Mangalore – 2002.
26. Chairman, Organising Committee, 8th Indian Orthodontic Society Student’s
Convention, Mangalore – Jan. 2004.
27. Chairman, National Co-ordination 39th Indian Orthodontic Conference,
Davangere – Nov. 2004.
28. Chairman, Scientific Committee for the 26th Indian Orthodontic Conference – 1991.
29. Joint Organizing Secretary & Chairman, Students Committee for the 46th National Indian Dental Conference – 1991.
30. Organizing Secretary, 19th & 23rd Karnataka State Dental Conferences.
31. Organizing Secretary of 1st National Conference of PIERRE FAUCHARD
32. Convener, Students Committee, 31st Indian Orthodontics Conference, New Delhi (1997).
33. Member, Editorial Board – Journal of Indian Dental Association & Journal of Indian Orthodontic Society.
34. Served as Secretary and President at Local & State Branch Levels of Indian Dental Association.
35. Attended and actively participated in most of the IDA Conferences for the past 2 decades.
36. Has been the Chairman of Various Sub-Committees of IDA Head Office.
37. Consultant, Quintessence International.
38. Attended and actively participated in most of the National & International Dental & Orthodontic Conferences like: 13th Asian Pacific Dental Congress held at New Delhi in 1988; 18th Asian Pacific Dental Congress held at Mumbai in 1994; Common-Wealth Dental Association – IDA Conference held at New Delhi in 2000; 23rd Asian Pacific Dental Congress held at Taipei in April 2001; FDI World Dental Conference held at Kaulalampur, Malasia in September 2001; 24th Asian Pacific Dental Congress held at Seoul, South Korea in April 2002; FDI World Dental Conference held at Sydney, Australia in September 2003; 27th Asian Pacific Dental Congress held at Kaulalampur, Malasia in May 2005;
39. Presented and published several award winning Scientific Papers in various National and International journals and Conferences.
40. Delivered many orations / Keynote address / Guest lectures at various Local, State, National and International Journals and Conferences.
41. Author of the book – ‘Healthy Teeth for Healthy Life’
Community Service Activities:
1. Organised and actively participated in more than 500 Dental check-up / Treatment Camps over the last 25 years.
2. Conducted many very unique one day “Full Denture” camps across Karnataka and other Southern States wherein full dentures were delivered to deserving geriatric patients on the same day. This unique project has brought him a lot of laurels and a National Award as well.
3. Undertaken a few innovative “Cleft Lip & Palate Screening Camps”
4. Initiated, organised and conducted several “School & Community Dental Health Programs” which has benefited over 8,00,000 primary school children & the public in and around Dakshina Kannada and Udupi Districts.
Recipient of the following Awards:
1. Karnataka State Rajyothsava Award – 2003
2. Indian Dentist of the Year Award – 2002
3. Rajiv Gandhi Award For Human Excellence – 2002
4. Kuvempu Vishwamana Prashashthi – 2005
5. Jewel of India Award – 2005
6. Bharatiya Chikitsak Ratna Award – 2004
7. Vijayashree Award – 2001
8. National Pride of the Millennium Award – 2000
9. Best Citizens of India Award – 1999
10. Best ‘Zonal Regent Award’ of “International College of Dentists”, India and Srilanka Section – 2007
11. Best Editor Award at National Level (Dental Association) for 3 Consecutive years (2003 – 2006)
12. Best Research Paper Awards at the National Orthodontic Conference – 1995, 2001 & 2007
13. Outstanding Alumni Award of St. Aloysius College Presented – 1994
14. Outstanding Young Person Award presented by Indian Junior Chambers – 1992
14. Best State Branch Secretary Award (IDA) at the National Level (1990-91 & 1991-92)
15. Best Young I.D.A. Member Award at the National Level (DR. Ratan Memorial Award) 1990-91
16. Best Local Branch President Award (IDA) at the State Level (1989-90)
17. Best Local Branch Secretary Award (IDA) at the State & National level (1987 – 88 & 1988 – 89)
Activities in other Sevice and Social Organizations:
1. Vice Chairman, Indian Dental Association (Karnataka) Charitable Trust (Regd.)
2. Member, The Research Board of Advisors – The American Biographical Institute – Since 2001
3. Member of Dental Health Care Committee of RI District 3180 in 1989-90 & 1990-91
4. Member and active worker of Indraprastha Welfare Society, Bangalore
5. Management Committee Member, Sri Sudhindra Medical Mission, Mangalore
6. Trustee of Indraprastha Charity Foundation & Indraprastha Vidyalaya
7. Secretary, Mangalore Round Table, 1993-94
8. Hon. Consultant, National Dental project of Round Table India (1995-96)
9. Rotarian from 1985 – 2001
10. Served as Convener of Various Committee of Rotary Club and also as Director of Community Service Activities.
Mangalorean.com wishes Dr.Nayak and his family, a bright future ahead.
By Rajanikanth Shenoy, Kudpi
Mrs Jerry, India:
Sir, Pleasure to know your professional achievements and service to the society. You indeed are a privileged Mangalorean !
sir i want email id and mobile number n postal adress of dr. Nayak