Rio de Janeiro, June 30 (IANS) Brazil coach Dunga will keep his job until after the 2018 World Cup despite the team’s quarterfinal exit at the Copa America, the country’s top football official said.
Brazil were eliminated from the continental tournament in Chile on Saturday after losing their quarterfinal clash with Paraguay on penalties, reported Xinhua news agency.
Dunga, who took over as coach of the Selecao for a second time after last year’s World Cup, has been lambasted by Brazil’s media for the team’s incoherent form during the competition.
But in an interview with the Folha de S.Paulo newspaper on Monday, Brazil’s football confederation president, Marco Polo del Nero, said the 1994 World Cup-winning captain would remain in the role.
“It’s important to emphasize that I intend to have him there until 2018,” Del Nero said.
He blamed the loss to Paraguay on Thiago Silva, whose second-half handball allowed Derlis Gonzalez to equalize from the penalty spot.
“All the (Copa America) teams are at a similar level with Argentina being favourites due to one player, Messi,” Del Nero said.
We were eliminated because of a player’s mistake. As far as missed penalties go, I have seen some of the games biggest stars miss them, even during the World Cup.