Ecuador quake toll rises to 587

Quito, April 22 (IANS) The toll from the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Ecuador last week, has climbed to 587 over the weekend, including 27 foreigners, the government has said.

Thursday’s report said 539 of the victims were identified and claimed by their families, while the identities of 48 bodies were still being investigated, Xinhua news agency reported.

Among the 27 foreigners killed in the quake, which hit late Saturday, 10 were Colombian, six Cuban, two Canadian, two from the Dominican Republic, two from Britain, and one each from Italy, Germany, France, and Ireland. One was yet to be identified.

The number of injured stands at 5,733, with 163 reported missing.

Relief efforts and materials are urgently needed. By Thursday afternoon, a campaign launched by Ecuador’s National Assembly had already gathered $377,197, according to a parliament statement.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here