CHURCH OF ST VINCENT FERRER
Mangalore - 575 002
TEL: 43 6078 (Parish Priest)
43 6913 (Asst. Parish Priest)
LOCATION: This church is situated at a distance of 5 kms from Mangalore Rosario Cathedral and is surrounded by Cascia, Bendur, and Milagres parishes.
PARISH PRIEST: Rev. Fr Paul Pinto
ASSISTANTS: Rev. Fr Denis D’Souza
CATHOLIC POPULATION: Total : 3,794 Male : 1,908 Female : 1,886
NO. OF CATHOLIC FAMILIES: 807
NO. OF PARISH WARDS: 12
PARISH NEWSLETTER : Ekvott (Monthly)
The parish gets its name from the Spanish town of Valencia where the patron saint of the church, St Vincent Ferrer was born. Originally Valencia parish was a part of Milagres and the Cathedral parishes. Because of the difficulties involved in attending Sunday Mass at these parishes, the Catholics of Kankanady and Jeppinamogaru sent a petition to Bishop Perini in 1914 requesting him to open a parochial station in the Valencia cemetery, the land for which was given by the government to the Milagres parish. On March 1, 1935 Bishop Victor R. Fernandes issued the decree of the erection of the new parish of Valencia. Mass was celebrated from March 3, 1935 at the mortuary chapel donated by Rev. Vincent Rebello. But due to objections for offering Mass at the chapel, Mass was being celebrated at the residence of Mr Salvadore Lobo from January 19, 1937.
The government granted an acre of highly laterite portion of the burial ground for the construction of the church. Fr Mathew Menezes built the church and it was inaugurated on January 9, 1944. The main altar of the church was consecrated on August 30, 1953. Fr Menezes was the first parish priest. The parish priest used to reside in a portion of church from April 1, 1947 since there was no presbytery.
On August 15, 1962 the newly built presbytery was inaugurated. The total cost of the construction work of the portico which was inaugurated on December 31, 1977 was entirely financed by Mr Benedict D’Souza.
Fr Lawrence V.M. Fernandes built the new presbytery building (15-12-1985) housing the Golden Jubilee Memorial Hall in it. This building was inaugurated on May 31, 1987.
In 1985, kindergarten classes were started. Fr A.F. D’Souza did the new flooring to the church.