CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF DOLOURS
School Road, Vittal P.O. - 574 243
Bantwal Taluk, D.K. District
TELEPHONE:††††††† 35 2280
LOCATION:† This church is situated at a distance of† 41 kms from Mangalore, 19 kms from Bantwal and 12 kms from Puttur† and is surrounded by Borimar, Karady (Vijayadka), Mogarnad, Salethur, Peruvai, Puttur and Bannur parishes.††
PARISH PRIEST:†† †Rev. Fr Benedict Sylvester Rego
CATHOLIC POPULATION:†† †Total : 2,141††††††††† Male : 1,085††††††††† Female : 1,056†††††
NO. OF CATHOLIC FAMILIES †:††† †411††† ††††††
NO. OF PARISH WARDS:†† †15
This was once a part of Mogarnad church. Fr L. Cutinha decided to build a chapel here.† The chapel was built in 1891.† The Vittal mission station was served from Mogarnad up to 1898 when it came under Puttur which had Borimar also under it.† These two stations were served on alternate Sundays from Mogarnad.† In 1907 Borimar was given a resident priest with the charge also of Vittal.† In 1918 it was again brought under Puttur till June 1, 1923 when it became a parish with Fr P.L. Bothelho as its first parish priest.†
Vittalís earlier church was built by Fr B.S. DíSouza of Puttur at a place other than where it is today.† Fr P.L. Bothello (1923-1930) built the church at a more convenient place and it was blessed on June 1, 1923 by Bishop Paul Perini.† He constructed a belfry in 1929 and a portico for the presbytery.† Messrs David Pinto, Paul Sequeira and Danial Mascarenhas are the founders of the church.
Fr R.J. DíCunha (1949-1955) installed the statue of Sacred Heart of Jesus on one side and the Immaculate Heart of Mary on the other side on August 12, 1950.† Electrification of presbytery was done by Fr Alphonsus I. Castelino.†† Fr Xavier (1983-1990) Pinto constructed a new church and presbytery at Peruvai.†
Fr Albert Menezes constructed a chapel at Peruvai in 1983.† Fr Anthony Serrao constructed belfry, the grotto of Our Lady of Fatima, and the presbytery.† Mrs Jessie DíSouza, a parishioner, donated the Grotto of our Lady of Dolours.†
Fr A. Patrao started a primary school (1935) with 40 cents of land.