CHURCH OF MOST HOLY REDEEMER
Belthangady P.O. - 574 214
TELEPHONE†:† †30 2016
LOCATION:†† †This church is situated at a distance of 63 kms from Mangalore and is surrounded by Ujire, Indubettu (Bangady), Badyar, Madanthyar and Arva† parishes.
PARISH PRIEST:†† †V. Rev. Jerald DíSouza
CATHOLIC POPULATION:†† †Total : 3,200†††††††† Male : 1,672††††††††† Female : 1,528
PARISH WARDS† †††:†19
In 1682, when Maratha King Sambhaji invaded Goa, some Catholilc families fled from Bardez in Goa, to a place called Gaddai, Athyadka and began residing there.† In about 1870, Fr Vaz constructed a chapel here.† Originally a part of Agrar, the chapel was served from there.† During the Goa-Verapoly controversy, some families seceded from Agrar and built a small chapel at Gaddai, a village at the foot of the rock fortress Jamalabad.† As Athyadka was malaria-prone, the chapel was abandoned in 1890.† Fr Pascal Mascarenhas constructed a thatched chapel at Belthangady.† It was pulled down to make way for a stable structure and a temporary church built adjoining the presbytery served for nearly 10 years.† This was served from Taccode for some time.† There were many Christian officers at Belthangady who helped Fr Mascarenhas to get a plot.†
In 1908, Fr Piadade DíSouza constructed a new church.† Fr Clifford DíSouza constructed the new parochial house in 1982.†† Fr Gregory DíSouza built a chapel at Charmadi.† On August 10, 1939, Fr John G. Pinto established a chapel at Bangady, (Indubettu) which became a parish later.† Arva, Indubettu and Naravi parishes were carved out of Belthangady.† Fr Rosario Fernandes extended the church.
Two parishioners, Mr S.J. Morris and his wife Mrs Juliana DíSouza were awarded a Pontifical Houour named Pro - Ecclessia Pontifice in 1964.† Another parishioner Mr Joseph Mary Menezes was awarded Benemerenti.
Fr John G. Pinto started a primary school at Belthangady.†† Fr Rosario Fernandes constructed the new school building in 1949.† St Theresa High School was begun by Fr Elias P. Dias on June 1, 1965.