CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS XAVIER
Indubettu, Bangady P.O. - 574 214
TELEPHONE : 31 4225
LOCATION: This church is situated at a distance of 72 kms east of Mangalore and 12 kms from Belthangady, and is surrounded by Ujire and Belthangady parishes.
PARISH PRIEST: Rev. Fr Joseph Mascarenhas
CATHOLIC POPULATION: Total : 314 Male : 153 Female : 161
CATHOLIC FAMILIES: 61
PARISH WARDS : 3
Originally Indubettu was a part of Belthangady parish. Long before 1917, mass was being offered at the house of Mr Louis Lobo. In around 1917, Fr Gaviraghi sj, who started the mission station bought land from Mr Salvadore D’Cunha and used to offer mass here in a thatched house. Because of the long distances the parishioners had to travel to reach Belthangady, Fr A.J. D’Silva constructed the presbytery in 1931 and started constructing a chapel in 1937, which was completed by his successor. This chapel was served from Belthangady for about 18 years. It was made independent and on April 2, 1955, Fr Elias P. Dias was appointed as the first parish priest.
Fr Elias P. Dias ( 1955-1962) built the present church, the electrification work was completed by Fr Lawrence D’Souza (1981-1988), the presbytery and belfry were built by Fr Leo William Lobo (1991-1997) who also provided the sound system and sank a borewell. The Grotto and the Arch were completed by Fr Joseph Mascarenhas, who arrived as the parish priest in 1997. He who also built 2 houses for the poor.
Fr Joseph is the 8th parish priest since Indubettu was erected to the status of a parish.