CHURCH OF ST ANTONY
Naravi - 574 109, Belthangady Taluk
TELEPHONE†:†††† †71 7231
LOCATION: This church is situated at a distance of 58 kms from Mangalore to the north-east, and is surrounded by Nellikar, Arva, Venur and Shirthady parishes.
PARISH PRIEST:†† †Rev. Fr Stany Rodrigues
CATHOLIC POPULATION†:†† †Total : 1,230††††††††† Male : 611†††††††††† Female : 619††
NO. OF CATHOLIC FAMILIES:††† †217
NO. OF PARISH WARDS:††† †9
Naravi was also know as Narol.† In 1870, a chapel dedicated to St Antony was built around 1900 as a sub-station of Karkal-Attur parish.† Fr Faustine Corti sj, who received Kaisar-E-Hind Medal for his service to the poor in 1911 might have built the parochial house in 1913.† He came to Naravi in 1905.† Diwan Bahadur S.L. Mathias and his brothers constructed a chapel after getting 6 acres of land.† Bishop Valerian DíSouza made Naravi an independent parish and mission station on December 8, 1928.
The new church building which was begun on January 6, 1929, was blessed on May 7, 1930 when Fr Gaviraghi was living there.† A convent building was also constructed there.
Fr Francis X. DíSouza (Poki Padryab) became the first diocesan missionary parish priest in 1936.† St Paulís Ashram in 1946, the belfry in 1952, an Altar of Mother Mary in 1953 were built by† Fr J.B. Alvares.† Grotto was built in 1959 by Fr Francis Fernandes. Fr Jacob Lobo donated the marble Altar on November 12, 1973.† The Ashram and church got electricity on May 6, 1976.† A Boysí ashram was inaugurated on June 1, 1977.
The Mathias brothers had started a primary school.† Fr J.B. Alvares constructed the school building in 1945.† Fr Francis Fernandes started a High School in 1966.† Mr D.S. Mendonca donated 5 sewing machines, and the tailoring classes began on November 18, 1973.†