New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) Vacuum hard-surfaced wooden floors instead of dust-mop and wipe up all spills immediately to avoid permanent stains to make your house look shiny and clean, says an expert.
Hardwood flooring expert Suresh Kumar Mansukhani of the Denmark-based hardwood flooring company Junckers, has shared tips on how to maintain the floor:
* Vacuum hard-surface floors instead of dust-mop. Vacuuming using a backpack vacuum actually pulls and removes sand, dust, and grit from floors.
* Burnish or buff (if using a low-speed finish) much more frequently to further clean the floor and restore its shine.
* In high-traffic areas, like the dining room and kitchen, one should sweep daily, if possible, and mop once or twice a week. Mop less-trafficked areas once a month or once a season.
* Wipe up all spills immediately to avoid permanent stains.
* Dust daily to keep dust and dirt off the floor. This will prevent scratching and essentially extend the beauty and life of your floor.
* Use water-based polishes to restore lustre and shine every two to three months. These polishes won’t leave a residue or emit harmful toxins, plus they will prevent over-cleaning and stripping of your floor.
* Do use a floor-cleaning product recommended by the floor finisher or opt for plain soap and water.