Fire audit was done before Mumbai mega show: Event manager

Mumbai, Feb 15 (IANS) Wizcraft, the organisers of mega events, Monday claimed that a complete fire audit, including all safety checks of the main stage of the ‘Make In India Week’ cultural extravaganza, was carried out before was gutted in a huge fire.

“Prior to the event, all safety checks and audits were done during rehearsals and prior to the show. All fire and safety norms prescribed have been followed,” Wizcraft said in a statement on Monday.

Wizcraft said that the detailed planning, both with regard to smooth execution of the event and disaster management in case of an unfortunate incident, ensured that there were no casualties and injuries in the fire which reduced the stage to ashes on Sunday night.

The statement said that as soon as the fire broke out – around 8.15 p.m. – the audience comprising many VVIPs, performers, and technical crew were evacuated to safe zones inside and outside the venue at Girgaum Chowpatty beach.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis termed the incident as “unfortunate” and said a comprehensive probe will be ordered and those responsible for it would face action.

The fire broke out during a performance of Maharashtra’s Lavani folk dance, the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Disaster Control said.

The blaze, which was first seen below the main performance stage, was controlled in about an hour and fully doused within two hours.

Unaware that the smoke emanating on the stage was real and not a “special effect”, the dancing troupe continued to dance till they were alerted by waiting police and audiences.

Maharashtra Governor C.V. Rao, Chief Minister Fadnavis and his wife Amruta, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and his wife Rashmi Thackeray, actors Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan, Hema Malini, Katrina Kaif, Vivek Oberoi, Isha Koppikar and Shreyas Talpade, ministers, parliamentarians, legislators, and many other prominent personalities witnessing the performance were shifted to safer places.

The BMC said the fire could have been caused by an electrical short-circuiting.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here