Five detained over New York explosion

Five detained over New York explosion

New York, Sep 19 (IANS) US federal authorities have reportedly detained five persons with possible links to the New York explosion.

New York was on high alert after an explosion rocked the Chelsea district of Manhattan injuring 29 people, one seriously, on Saturday night.

As reports emerged of the five detained in New York, the FBI’s New York branch tweeted that no one had been charged.

“We did a traffic stop of a vehicle of interest in the investigation,” the FBI tweet said. “No one has been charged with any crime. The investigation is continuing.”

New York media said the five passengers were in custody for questioning. The vehicle was stopped around 9.30 p.m. heading east on the Belt Parkway from the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, which connects the New York city boroughs Brooklyn and Staten Island, The Telegraph reported.

The New York Daily News reported that weapons were found in the car.

A mystery caller telephoned police hours after a series of bombs were found in Manhattan to warn that there would be more attacks, a local newspaper has reported.

Thousands of people were milling around one of Manhattan’s most fashionable areas when the blast ripped through the area shortly after 8.30 p.m. local time.

The blast is understood to have originated from a device placed in a pressure cooker outside the Associated Blind Housing facility at 135 West 23rd Street. A second device was found four blocks away on West 27th Street.

Both bombs in New York were filled with shrapnel and made with pressure cookers, flip phones, Christmas lights and explosive compound, The New York Times reported late Sunday, citing law enforcement officials.

Earlier in the day on Saturday there was an explosion at Seaside Park, New Jersey, which was timed to disrupt a Marine Corps charity run.

An official told Fox News on Sunday that the bombs in New Jersey and New York were “from the same person” and the devices in both explosions included mobile phones.

Bill de Blasio, New York’s mayor, said the blast in Chelsea was an “intentional act” but he insisted that there was no credible terrorist threat to the city and there was no link with the New Jersey explosion.

The Joint Terrorism Task Force was called in to investigate the Chelsea blasts well as the New Jersey incident.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here