No explosives found in Hanover football scare: German minister

Hanover (Germany), Nov 18, 2015, (AFP) No explosives have been found so far and no arrests made after the Tuesday’s Germany-Netherlands football match was cancelled, a German regional minister said.

Lower Saxony interior minister Boris Pistorius also told a press conference that rumours of an explosives-packed ambulance could not be confirmed.

Heavy armed police patrol at the train station in Hanover after the match was called off by police due to a security threat. REUTERS
German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the match in Hanover — which Chancellor Angela Merkel had been due to attend — was cancelled “to protect the population”, but did not provide specifics.

He said “we had good reasons, bitter reasons” but added that describing them could “cause concern to the population”, after local police in Hanover earlier said there had been a bomb threat.

Football match between Germany, Holland cancelled

Berlin, Nov 18 (IANS) A football match between Germany and Holland to be held in the German city of Hanover on Tuesday evening has been cancelled, German media N-TV reported, citing police sources.

No official details about the reason for the decision have been informed so far. According to information obtained by German media Focus Online, the game was cancelled because of “indications of a terrorist attack,” Xinhua reported.

Earlier in the day, the access roads to the stadium holding the match were reportedly blocked after a suspicious object was found on the spot.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and several cabinet ministers were expected to attend the match, which comes four days after the terrorist attacks in Paris.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here