New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) The government on Monday said forest fires in Uttarakhand were completely under control and no death was reported so far.
“The situation in Uttarakhand is completely under control. I can assure you that there is nothing to worry,” Home Minister Rajnath Singh informed Lok Sabha.
Rajnath was responding after the matter was raised by Trinamool Congress member Saugat Ray during Zero Hour.
Some members from Uttarakhand, including former chief minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank also raised thier concerns.
Rajnath said that shortly after the matter came to his knowledge, a team of his ministry and fire department rushed to the site.
“Three teams of NDRF and three IAF MI-17 helicopters were also engaged to control the situation,” he said.
He denied reports of deaths due to the fire, saying: “As far as reported deaths are concerned, local administration has not yet confirmed,” he said.
The fires began 89 days ago and have so far destroyed nearly 3,000 acres of forest cover.