HC seeks sports ministry’s reply on minor boxer’s plea

New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) The Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked the Sports Ministry to file its response on a plea filed by a 16-year-old who claims to be “best boxer” in his weight category of 80-plus and sought direction to include him in the Indian squad for the Junior World Boxing Championships to be held in Russia from September 2 to 13.

Justice V.P. Vaish asked the ministry to respond on Harshpreet Sehrawat’s plea by Wednesday. Sehrawat, filing the plea through his guardian, claimed that he was a national champion and has fought against older boxers in his weight category.

Advocate D.R. Nigam said that despite his credentials, Sehrawat had been overlooked by the selection committee for the tournament to be held in St Petersburg.

He also alleged that both the Sports Authority of India (SAI) and the sports ministry are keeping quiet despite being aware of the facts.

“Shehrawat was was 13 years of age in 2012 when he won the gold medal in the Under-17 category, won the National Gold at the age of 14 in the same category in 2013 and a silver medal in the National Games at the age of 15 years fighting in under-19 years category,” said the plea.

“He has been arbitrarily, malafidely and illegally not included in the list of boxers going to the said Championship where Sport Authority of India and ministry of sports are the final authority in this regard,” the plea added.

Leave a Reply