Indian-owned restaurant ordered shut over hygiene issue

London, Sep 24 (IANS) An Indian-owned restaurant in Britian’s Derby city has been ordered to shut down after it failed a hygiene inspection last week, a media report said.

The Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday ordered Balvir Singh, owner of Indian Spicy Foods at Normanton Road, to close it down after a hygiene inspector found mouse droppings in food, on the floor and in equipment during an inspection on September 17, the Derby Telegraph reported on Wednesday.

Some bread rolls, ready to be served, had been nibbled by mice and were also contaminated by droppings, the court heard.

“The bread rolls were ready to eat and so could be ingested and could cause food poisoning,” an environmental health officer was quoted as saying.

Last year, the Derby Crown Court fined Singh 1,450 pounds ($2,215) and ordered him to pay 1,500 pounds ($2,291) in costs for breaching food and hygiene regulations.

“The premises will now remain closed until the officers are satisfied that the health risk (has been) removed,” said Baggy Shanker, a Derby City councillor.

Leave a Reply