Iraqi security forces repel IS attack in Anbar

Ramadi, Feb 6 (IANS) Iraqi security forces backed by the US-led coalition aircraft on Saturday repelled an attack by Islamic State (IS) militants with three suicide truck bombs near the city of Ramadi, a provincial security source said.

The troops fought back the attackers and destroyed two truck bombs with anti-tank guided missiles before reaching their target at a military base in Nadhem al-Tharthar area of Ramadi, Xinhua quoted a source as saying.

Aircraft of the US-led coalition pounded the IS militants and destroyed the third suicide truck bomb at the desert area outside the military base, the source said.

A total of seven security members were injured due to clashes with the IS militants, while at least four IS militants were killed in addition to the three suicide bombers.

Government troops and allied militias have been fighting for months now in order to regain control of key cities from IS militants in the towns in Anbar, Iraq’s largest province, as IS militants had previously seized most of Anbar and attempted to advance towards Baghdad.

Iraq currently witnesses a massive wave of violence since the IS gained control of sections of Iraq’s northern and western regions in June 2014, when surprisingly Iraqi government forces abandoned their weapons and posts and fled.

Leave a Reply