IS releases 270 out of 400 kidnapped in Syria

Damascus, Jan 20 (IANS) The Islamic State (IS) terrorist group released 270 out of the 400 people it had kidnapped when its militants stormed a town in Syria’s eastern province of Deir al-Zour earlier this week, a monitor group reported on Wednesday.

The 270 released people were kids under 14, and men over 55 years old, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

It added that 130 men between the age 15 and 55 were still held by the IS militants, who will interrogate them on charges of cooperation with the Syrian government in the town of Bughailiyeh.

Aside from the originally captured 400 men, the UK-based watchdog group which relies on a network of activists on ground said the IS group captured 50 other people over the past 24 hours during raids in Bughailiyeh in the countryside of Deir al-Zour.

Upon storming Buhailiyeh last week, the IS militants had killed as many as 280 people, mostly women and children, and tossed their bodies in the Euphrates river in the countryside of Deir al-Zour, near Iraq.

The IS attack on the neighbourhood was carried out earlier on Saturday, with several suicide bombers blowing themselves up at government forces’ positions.

The attack came amid renewed battles between the IS and the Syrian military forces in several areas of Deir al-Zour, including the vicinity of the main airbase near the Iraqi borders.

Government officials condemned the massacre in the town, and pledged the government forces will soon recapture it.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here