Left seeks tough action over Kerala ‘custodial death’

Kottayam (Kerala), July 12 (IANS) The opposition Left Front in Kerala is demanding “tough action” against police officials in Kottayam district over the death of a 40-year-old labourer allegedly in police custody.

The Left Front led by the Communist Party of India-Marxist has called for a district shutdown on Monday over the incident.

The opposition is demanding tough action against officials of Marangatupally police station who allegedly beat to death labourer Siby, who was picked up on June 29 who got into a brawl on getting drunk.

Police maintain that Siby suffered a head injury before he was taken into custody. A 17-year-old boy has been detained for causing the injury during the brawl.

Angry residents damaged a police vehicle in Marangatupally on Sunday morning to vent their anger against the alleged police brutality.

After the autopsy at the Government Medical College and Hospital in Kottayam got over on Sunday, a large crowd of people gathered there and after receiving the body took it in a procession to his home town in Marangatupally.

Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has said that if there has been any wrongdoing, strict action will be taken against the guilty, while Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala has ordered a Crime Branch probe into the incident.

State Congress president V.M. Sudheeran on Sunday told reporters that police “should behave well” with people.

“Chennithala has already promised that the guilty will not be spared, and in no way custodial deaths will be tolerated in Kerala,” Sudheeran said.

Meanwhile, former government chief whip and legislator P.C. George told IANS that he has come to know that in the police station Siby was “brutally assaulted”.

When his aged parents came, they were shocked to see their son, he said.

“Following the assault, Siby passed stool and urinated in the police station. When his parents came, the police officials made his parents clean up the station. Despite their fervent pleas, Siby was not allowed to go with his parents.

“It was only the next morning that police sensed that Siby’s condition was bad, and admitted him to the Kottayam Medical College and Hospital. After battling for life, he passed away yesterday (Saturday),” George said.


Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here