Let your skin do the talking this festive season
New Delhi, Sep 30 (IANS) There is no denying that prepping your skin for the festive rush is as important as nailing the final look. Opting for Vitamin C enriched products or taking cocoa or mulberry can do the talking for your skin.
Sangeeta Velaskar, Vice President and Head, Medical Services and R&D, Kaya Limited, throws light on a few ingredients that one must look out for before opting for the next facial:
* Vitamin C: The antioxidant properties of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and its role in brightening make vitamin C a vital molecule for skin health. Dietary and topical ascorbic acid have beneficial effects on skin cells and studies have shown that vitamin C may also help prevent and treat ultraviolet (UV)-induced photo damage
* Cocoa: Free radicals are the reactive forms of oxygen generated when UV light hits the skin. It is well established that the ageing of the skin caused by sunlight is largely the result of damage to the skin’s proteins caused by these free radicals. Cocoa is packed with antioxidants that help repair skin cells and neutralize harmful free radicals
* Seaweed: Seaweed’s natural, anti-inflammatory compounds can have a positive effect on acne explosions by reducing the swelling. It can also be used as a natural exfoliant to remove dead skin cells, which can block pores. Seaweed, when applied to the body, draws excess fluid and waste products from the skin. It also acts as a cleanser for dead skin cells and other impurities on the surface
* Arbutin: Arbutin is a molecule extracted from the bearberry plant that prevents the formation of melanin. One of the benefits of alpha arbutin is that it lightens dark skin at a fast pace and gets rid of melasma spots. Arbutin also blocks tyrosinase and keeps dark spots at bay
* Mulberry: Men and women often look to mulberries to treat dry, blotchy and aging skin. Even sensitive skin can be safely rejuvenated with mulberry treatments, supplements and juices. The vast antioxidant properties remove toxins, unclog pores, even skin tone, moisturize and fight blemishes. The same properties also help promote healthy hair growth, produce shine and luster, and prevent breakage and loss of colour vibrancy