Mangaluru: Deputy Commissioner A B Ibrahim held a press meet regarding the guidelines for the upcoming MLC elections, at the DC office, here, on November 30.
He said that the term of Kota Shrinivas Poojary and K Prathap Chandra Shetty, both MLCs of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi constituencies, was to end on 5 January, 2016. Hence an election was to be held for the two vacant seats. A total of 410 poll booths will be set up in this regard and 6559 voters are expected to exercise their franchise.
He also said that the model code of conduct was in force from December 24. He asked all candidates to follow the same. All posters and banners depicting any party are to be removed and no election propaganda can be made. The candidate can however tour his constituency, keeping a low profile. The notification will be issued on 2nd December, 2015. Last date to file the nominations is 9 December and to withdraw is by 12 December.
The election will be held on 27 December between 8 am and 4 pm. Votes will be counted on 30 December.
The eligibility criteria for a candidate to contest the elections are,
1. The candidate should be at least 30 years of age.
2. The candidate’s name should feature on the electoral roll of Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
3. Nomination should be accompanied by signatures of 10 witnesses.
4. Rs 10000 to be deposited by a general category candidate. Candidate belonging to SC/ST category should pay Rs 5000.
5. An affidavit declaring the assets of the candidate, duly attested by a notary should be submitted.
Nominations can be submitted to the District Commissioners office between 2nd and 9th December at 11 am to 3 pm (except on 6th December, which is a Sunday). Photograph of the candidates will be printed on the ballot papers. If the voter does not want to elect any candidate, he has an option of selecting ‘None of The Above’ (NOTA).
The DC thanked the people of the district for restoring peace in the region and appealed to all to maintain the same so that the elections could run smoothly. ADC Kumar and others were also present.