Mangaluru: Two inmates of the district jail, Madoor Yusuf and Ganesh Shetty, died in a fight that had broken out inside the premises on Monday.
Many were injured in the incident, including jail personnel. On Tuesday, Nov 3, one of the inmates, Basheer Ahmed, hailing from Bantwal who had been lodged on charges of theft in Ullal, was reported to be missing, according to media reports. He was neither among the injured who are in the hospital nor found during a headcount. It was thought that he had escaped during the commotion.
Messages were flashed to various police stations about the incident and the police were setting out on a manhunt. In the meantime, ADGP prisons Kamal Pant – who had served as SP in the district for a few years – visited the jail on Tuesday.
However, the jail authorities heaved a sigh of relief, when Basheer was found hiding inside the premises during a search. He has said that he was scared that the fights would continue for the second day and was scared for his life.
From the archives:
- Mangaluru: 2 Inmates Die in Major Clash in Sub Jail
- Mangalore: Fight Erupts in District Jail – One Undertrial Hospitalized
- Mangalore: Inmate Naveen Sequeira Injured in Assault in Jail over Trivial Issue
- Mangalore: The Same Story again – Ganja and Mobiles Found during Raid on District Jail
- Mangalore: Attempt to Conceal Ganja in Trash-heap and Smuggle into District Jail Foiled
- Mangalore: Prison Inmate Assaults Jailer – Superiors Deny Incident, Victim Files Police Case
- Mangalore: Raid on District Jail again – Everything Found Normal, for a Change!
- Mangalore: Second Raid on City Jail in Three Days – Five Mobiles and Charger Found