Mangaluru: Students of the Sahyadri College of Engineering & Management, Navjith P Karkera (Semester V, Mechanical Engineering) and Jagath Biddappa (Semester V, Electronics & Communication Engineering), interns at Sahyadri Edu Dreamers R&D Pvt Ltd, were awarded with the Young Indians Award for Best Young Innovators for their ‘Smart Electronic Helmet for Motorcycle’ invention. The award was given by Dr. Harshavardhan, Incumbent Minister, Ministry of Science and Technology (India) and Ministry of Earth Sciences, in Delhi. The Innovation Initiative – 2015 competition is a joint initiative of AICTE, the Government of India (DST) and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and was held at IIT Delhi.
A total of 2700 innovations were received from across the country from students, industry professionals, individual and grassroots innovators in various fields such as Life Sciences, Electronics & Communications, IT, Energy and Engineering Technologies. After a first level of screening by an expert panel comprising of eminent scientists and industrialists, the top 76 innovations had been showcased at the i3 National Fair at IIT Delhi. From these, a high level national jury will select the top 9 innovations (one special innovation) based on the technical feasibility, market potential of the innovation and its impact on the industry, society and environment.
About the project
This smart electronic helmet, made by a young duo from Naguri district, has been designed and developed with the aim of revolutionizing the use of helmets. Its aim is to improve and provide state-of-the-art safety to motorcyclists in an effective way and enhance their riding experience. This helmet provides futuristic edge to motorcycle helmet. It makes the helmet smart, technologically advanced and user friendly.
The helmet has been designed and developed particularly for the Indian market in terms of the usage conditions, requirements, safety and also, the cost.
The features of this helmet are:
- The motorcycle won’t start and will cease to function if helmet is not worn properly, with the strap secured
- The motorcycle won’t start and will cease to function if the rider is drunk above the threshold level as set by the Indian Motor Vehicle Act
- In case of an accident, the location of the accident will be sent to relatives and health response units
- Provides Voice navigation to the rider to navigate unknown terrains as per request
- Safety EL light to improve safety of the rider during night time
- Hands free communication and wireless music playback through vibration transducer
- Custom smartphone application to synchronize the helmet and the phone
- Voice command for improved user experience
- Announcing the mood of the rider to the surrounding traffic by means of discrete laser
- Power generation in the helmet by means of electric wind turbine
- Internet to synchronize with other devices and gadgets of the user
- NFC for easy pairing of the helmet and phone.
What makes it happen at Sahyadri
At Sahyadri, project based learning is the essence of education. We expect education to contribute to the society. To foster this, a dual strategy is envisaged.
Firstly, the talent pool with the innovation and creativity as their passion is identified through the Sahyadri Science Talent Hunt (SSTH) where cream students of PUC/XII are encouraged to pursue their project with the seed money given by the institute. This SSTH-2015 saw 300 projects of social relevance. This is envisaged on lines of “Inspire” where management spends Rs 1 crore as a CSR activity.
Secondly, when such talents join the institute, they are made to pursue Engineering education through project based learning through Sahyadri Centre of Social Innovation in first year having a feel for societal problems and followed by projects support scheme through SPSS scheme. This has been envisaged on the lines of the VGST (TRIP) scheme.
This structured interlinked approach has facilitated students to achieve laurels through innovative projects exhibited at Premier institutes like IITs, IISc, NITs, etc.
The Management of Sahyadri wishes to extend beyond the initial support of seed money for projects to also to commercialize the innovation into a product through their Entrepreneurship cell.