Manipal: Nearly 1000 of tailors from across the district took out a protest march from Tiger Circle to Deputy Commissioner’s office here on Tuesday March 1.
They were demanding welfare benefits for the unorganised worker’s in Social Security Act. The organizers said that the protest, which was held under the banner of the Karnataka State Tailors Association (KSTA), was supported by local tailors. The agitators submitted a list of demands in a memorandum addressed to the Prime Minister through the Deputy Commissioner here. Similar protests had been organised in all districts of the State.
In their memorandum important and essential demands include :
1. NPS Lite for those in the age group of 40-60 years should continue as per 2010-11 schemes itself.
2. Instead of transfer to APY, members in the age group of 18-40 should be allowed to continue in NPS Lite.
3. Quantum of amount receivable as ‘Retirement Income’ under NPS Lite should be clearly notified.
4. Order should be passed to extend Rastriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) and Aam Admi Bima Yojana (AABY) to unorganised workers belonging to BPL and APL families.
5. Declaring all beneficiaries who have so far completed 60 years and have made payment under NPS Lite as retired and making arrangement for sanction of their proportionate ‘Retirement Income’.
6. Provision should also be made through this board, for giving Marriage Allowance for meeting the wedding expenses of daughters of tailoring workers.
7. Marriage allowance and maternity allowance should be extended to female tailoring workers.
8. Central government and state government are earnestly requested to continue the practice of providing monetary grant presently being extended to pension scheme under NPS Lite.
9. Provide educational scholarship to the children of tailoring workers.
10. Provide financial assistance and low-interest loans for purchase of residence, construction or reconstruction of houses by tailoring workers for own use.
11. Provide relief amount of Rs 2,50,000 to the family members of tailors in case of his or her accidently death.
District President William Machado, Yugananda Shetty, K Ramachandra, Abdul Khadar, Gururan M Shetty, Shivaram Achar, Vittal Shetty, S B Soans and others were present.