Geneva, Oct 6 (IANS) The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) on Tuesday said that Mediterranean remains to be the most deadliest route for migrants as 2,987 of them have lost their lives so far this year out of a worldwide total of 4,093.
“The Mediterranean remains the deadliest route for migrants on our planet,” IOM Director General William Lacy Swing said, adding that “this loss of life is unnecessary, completely avoidable and absolutely unacceptable,” Xinhua news agency reported.
The arrival of 557,899 migrants by sea has been reported in Europe so far this year, representing close to double of last year’s total, while this year’s Mediterranean death count is fast approaching 2014’s yearly total of 3,139 fatalities.
Greece by far remains the destination which receives the biggest migrant influx with 421,341 arrivals recorded to date, followed by Italy (133,451), Spain (3,007) and Malta (100).
Since October 2, IOM indicated that over 20,000 new arrivals have been reported in Greece as migrants and refugees continue to cross the narrow stretch of water separating Turkey and Greece.
IOM reports that the Turkish Coast Guard has counted 134 migrant deaths in its waters this year, while the Turkish military indicated that 72 lost their lives in September alone.