Minister Madhwaraj to Inaugurate golden jubilee year of Milagres College on July 16
Udupi: The inauguration of the golden jubilee year of Milagres College Kallianpur will be held on July 16, said Dr Gerald Pinto, principal of the college. He was speaking at a press meet held at the press club here, on July 14.
Milagres College, Kallinapur was established in the year 1967 by Msgr D J D’Souza, who was then 83 years old. His wish was that the boys and girls who work in the fields should be able to attend college straight from the fields. He was assisted by the able direction of the Vicar General of the Diocese Msgr William Lewis. The college was lucky to have the great international historian Dr Guruaj Bhat as its first principal.
Initially, the college extended only B.Com and B.A. courses to the students. In the year 1981, Fr Gregory D’Cruz introduced the Science section in the college. In the year 2010, a new college block named “Miracles” was constructed by its then principal Fr Fred Mascarenhas. He was also responsible for upgrading the college by introducing BBM and BSW UG courses and an MSW PG course. In addition, the college now offers M.Com PG course.
The year 2016-17 happens to be the Golden Jubilee Year of Milagres College. The inauguration function of the golden jubilee year will be held at the Milagres Tri-Centenary Hall. The Bishop of Udupi Diocese and president of Catholic Educational Society (CES), Dr Gerald Isaac Lobo will be presiding over the ceremony. The golden jubilee year will be inaugurated by Pramod Madhwaraj, Minister for Fisheries, Youth and Sports and district in-charge minister. Janaki Brahmavar, the president of Tulu Sahitya Academy and an alumna of the college, and Puspa Kotian, the president of Kallianpur Gram Panchayat, will be the guests of honour. The ceremony will be graced by Dr Lawrence D’Souza, the secretary of the CES Udupi and a number of former students, retired teachers, parents and other dignitaries.
The major attraction for the ceremony will be the institution of the corpus fund, called “Milagres College Golden Jubilee Educational Fund”, for the students. The college intends to use this fund to educate poor students. The staff members, under the leadership of the new principal Dr Gerald Pinto, and Convener Prof Cyril Mathias, have already contributed Rs 1 lakh and Rs 50,000 respectively. The college has pooled together more than Rs 3 lakh for the purpose and plans to create a corpus fund of more than Rs 1 crore.
During the golden jubilee year, the college intends to organise programmes for students, teachers, parents, alumni and the general public.
On campus programmes
1. Interaction with eminent personalities, who have excelled in sports, politics, social service, public service, etc. by trying to bring the alumni achievers together.
2. Cultural, sports and academic competitions for the students related to the golden jubilee celebrations.
3. Intense training for interested students to appear for campus interviews as well as competitive exams.
4. Practical skill based programs like training in plumbing, electrician, tailoring, fashion designing, beautician, etc.
Off campus programmes
1. Compulsory week-long village experience programme for final year students.
2. Medical camps in association with different hospitals in different places outside the campus involving the students.
Programmes for teachers and support staff:
1. Orientation or refresher programmes for teachers.
2. Motivational programmes for teachers.
3. Each department will conduct one or two workshops/seminars during the year.
4. An orientation programme for the support staff could be organised.
5. Bringing retired principals and staff members into the campus under the banner of golden jubilee and have a get-together with their family members.
Programmes for parents:
1. Trying to identify the needs (social, economic, government benefits, etc.) of the parents and rest of their children, and trying to meet their needs through the institution or through the help of the public and alumni.
2. Visiting the families of students in case of causalities, ailments, etc. in order to give them emotional support.
3. Visiting the parents to enquire about the educational needs of the siblings of the students.
4. Conducting sports, cultural and literary events for the parents either on campus or in villages in connection with the golden jubilee celebrations.
Programme for alumni:
1. Honouring the first batch alumni during the ceremony.
2. Invite the alumni in batches for an interaction and a get-together in the campus.
3. Honoring alumni achievers during the year.
Programmes for the public:
1. Creating awareness among the public by performing street plays and jathas.
2. Honouring the achievers among the public.
3. Identifying resource persons among the public and introducing them to the students.
4. Conducting medical camps and joining hands in the Swachh Bharath Abhiyan.
Fr Stany B Lobo (Correspondent Milagres Institutions), Fr Dr Anil Prakash Castelino (Campus Director), Prof Cyril Mathais, Prof Joseph Peter Fernandes and others were present during the press meet.